Wednesday, February 7, 2018

I've always thought I was

Dear Lord,

I’ve always thought I was patient, but thank you for teaching me more.
I’ve always thought I was empathetic, but thank you for teaching me how blind I am to suffering.
I’ve always thought I was joyful, but thank you for showing me that my joy was contingent on my ease.
I’ve always thought I was kind, but thank you that now I see my kindness was conditional upon their returned kindness or respect.
I’ve always thought I was loyal, but thank you for showing me how my loyalty has wavered in my stress.
I’ve always thought I was giving, but thank you for showing me that I have never given from my want.
I’ve always thought I was helpful, but thank you for showing me that was only true when it was convenient for me.
I’ve always thought I was self-sufficient, but thank you for showing me that I need the body of Christ.
I’ve always thought I was strong, but thank you for showing me the benefits of weakness.
I’ve always thought I was brave, but thank you for giving me a chance to know it.
I’ve always thought I was insignificant, but thank you for giving me a battle to champion.
I’ve always thought I was unimportant, but thank you for showing me where my importance actually lies.


Love you, Anna

No comments: