Monday, November 20, 2017

Every joint, I thank you.

I know that not everyone who reads this is a Christian, but it is a part of who we are and why I am here. And all of you, Christian or not, have lent me the strength necessary to make this happen. You all working as one large body of Christ from New Mexico, Kansas and Missouri, to Oregon, even Kentucky or wherever you are have put your prayers together to call out the action of God and his strength.

Verse after verse sent by you has washed over me to make me clean and strong. I cry. I want to quit. I worry. And then you are there behind me letting me know that I am not alone and that neither you nor God have left me stranded. Then, I rejoice. I hope. I trust. Some of you I have never met but we share the same heartbeat of Jesus Jesus Jesus as we wade through our days.

"Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ,16from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love." 

But the church has not functioned as the church ought to be functioning- as one body in Christ. Somehow, though, at this juncture in our lives, the church has fused itself together as a true body moving and breathing with one goal. We often consider the people we see in church as our church family but God doesn't work that way. We are one, joined together by every joint, working properly. I am very literally holding together because of you.

When I have been too upset to pray, you have prayed in my stead.
When I have stood like a lost child, you have sent me scriptures to give me hope and wisdom.
When I have been too shocked to praise, you have sent up praises on my behalf.
When we didn't have the money for this adoption, you have been generous.
When we needed clothing and furniture, you gave to us.
When I was discouraged, you called or met with me or sent me an email.

I have never, in my 40 years of church, felt God's people come together with such love and compassion. I know it has happened and I know it does happen, but it hadn't happened to me. Sadly, I had never been involved in it happening either...or perhaps I just didn't know. And so, I want to make sure that you know. Every prayer and every breath. Every scripture and every FaceBook encouragement. Every. Single. One. You, the Body of Christ, with him as the head directing your prayers, have held me together. Without you I would fail. God has called you to our side to support me and build me up. Thank you, every joint.

We are not done. Double your prayers and be on your knees as God asks. Jesus is good and his path is being made straight. His steadfast love endures forever.


PS. I say this in first person because I am the one writing. These are my feelings and vulnerability that I don't want to impose on Jason.  But never for a minute think that Jason is less thankful than I.

No comments: